If you suspect animal abuse/cruelty, you may call the Animal Cruelty Tip Line at (844) 473-7763.
New York State law governing licensing, identification, and control of dogs.
If a Dog is Found
You can contact Animal Control Officer Emily Whitney at (518) 837-7193. Or the North Country SPCA at (518) 873-5000. The dog will be brought to the SPCA where it is checked for a microchip and held for five days while awaiting its owner.
If Your Dog is Missing
Contact Animal Control Officer Emily Whitney at (518) 837-7193 or the North Country SPCA at (518) 873-5000. It’s always a good idea to check with local vets as well. To reclaim a dog from the North Country SPCA you must pay redemption fees, provide a copy of the dogs license and proof of rabies vaccine.
Lake Placid Animal Hospital
Elmbrook Veterinary Services
Adirondack Veterinary Hospital
What to Do if You are Bitten by a Dog
If you are bitten by a dog you should seek medical attention immediately. Typically, your medical provider will fill a form out and send it to the Essex County Health Department. The Health Department will contact the dogs owner to ensure it has had a rabies vaccine. The dog must be confined for 10 days regardless of rabies vaccination status; the dog’s owner must then notify the Health Department on the dog’s condition. You may also contact the State Police and the Animal Control Officer at (518) 524-7834.
Rabies Clinics are typically held once a year by the Essex County Health Department. Further information will be posted when available.
Dog License and Registration
In the Town of Keene all Dogs 4 months or older must be registered and licensed.
- Licenses are issued by the Town Clerk at the Town Hall.
- The fee is $6.00 for a spayed or neutered dog and $13.00 for an unaltered dog, which may be paid by cash or check.
- Licenses must be renewed annually, and renewals will be mailed to the address on file at the Town Clerk’s office.
- To obtain a license, you will need to provide:
- Owner’s address
- Dog’s name
- Breed information
- Spay or neuter status, unless proof is already on file
- Certificate of rabies vaccination signed by a licensed veterinarian