Emily Whitney
Animal Control Officer

If you suspect animal abuse/cruelty, you may call the Animal Cruelty Tip Line at (844) 473-7763.

New York State law governing licensing, identification, and control of dogs.

If a Dog is Found

You can contact Animal Control Officer Emily Whitney at (518) 837-7193. Or the North Country SPCA at (518) 873-5000. The dog will be brought to the SPCA where it is checked for a microchip and held for five days while awaiting its owner.

If Your Dog is Missing

Contact Animal Control Officer Emily Whitney at (518) 837-7193 or the North Country SPCA at (518) 873-5000. It’s always a good idea to check with local vets as well. To reclaim a dog from the North Country SPCA you must pay redemption fees, provide a copy of the dogs license and proof of rabies vaccine.

Local Veterinarians

Lake Placid Animal Hospital
(518) 523-7319
Elmbrook Veterinary Services
(518) 647-2115
Adirondack Veterinary Hospital
(518) 962-4311

What to Do if You are Bitten by a Dog

If you are bitten by a dog you should seek medical attention immediately. Typically, your medical provider will fill a form out and send it to the Essex County Health Department. The Health Department will contact the dogs owner to ensure it has had a rabies vaccine. The dog must be confined for 10 days regardless of rabies vaccination status; the dog’s owner must then notify the Health Department on the dog’s condition. You may also contact the State Police and the Animal Control Officer at (518) 524-7834.

Rabies Clinics

Rabies Clinics are typically held once a year by the Essex County Health Department. Further information will be posted when available.

Dog License and Registration

Local Dog Ordinance

In the Town of Keene all Dogs 4 months or older must be registered and licensed.

  • Licenses are issued by the Town Clerk at the Town Hall.
  • The fee is $6.00 for a spayed or neutered dog and $13.00 for an unaltered dog, which may be paid by cash or check.
  • Licenses must be renewed annually, and renewals will be mailed to the address on file at the Town Clerk’s office.
  • To obtain a license, you will need to provide:
    • Owner’s address
    • Dog’s name
    • Breed information
    • Spay or neuter status, unless proof is already on file
    • Certificate of rabies vaccination signed by a licensed veterinarian